Friday, January 7, 2011

Arctic Outbreak

Just as I am typing this blog I am looking outside and contemplating the serious "Arctic Outbreak" that is heading to South East Texas.  I am what you would call a weather junky.  I am constantly searching the web for up coming fronts, chance or rain, or pressure systems heading our way.  Don't ask me why I do this.  I'm not a farmer and whether it rains, snows, hot, or cold my life doesn't change too much but this cold air coming my way has got me in a tither.  I've got my chainsaw in the back of my truck heading to some friends to cut and split some firewood for the upcoming cold.  I've prepare a warm shelter for my precious dogs to keep them safe.  I've insulated my pipes, laid out some cold weather gear, and made sure the cars are full of antifreeze and filled up.  This is way overkill!!!  You would think I lived in Canada but alas I am in Texas where it will be cold next week and 70 degrees the week following. As I take stock of my weather preparations it makes me consider if I am just as tenacious in my preparations for the coming events in the life of a Christian.

We believe that Jesus is coming back and that a judgment day will happen but how ready are we?  Are we preparing our hearts and souls to face our Savior?  Are we anticipating the words, "well done good and faithful servant" Mt.25:21 or are we expecting something else?  Are we confident in our standing with God or are we blindly walking through the days verbally admitting the Savior is coming but not actively preparing for that return?

After we answer those questions and if the answer is "yes" then what about the friends and family that we love?  What about the casual acquaintance or lunchroom friend at school who knows we live in faith but they unfortunately do not?  Are we prepared to share to gospel with them?  Are we prepared to help guide them through the above qustions in their own personal lives?  This is scary stuff.  Being prepared to share your faith takes courage and strength.  In most people, including me, the troubling part of preparing myself to share my faith is what if I don't have the answers and what if I want to share my faith but have no idea what to say?  In 1 Peter 3:15 we are told to always, "be prepared to give an answer for the hope we have".  This brings up 2 problems for me, will people recognize a hope in me, and will I be able to give an answer?

In most Students they struggle with the "Superman" syndrome.  Nothing will ever happen to them and mortality and eternity are difficult concepts to follow.  Truth be told, they are difficult for this 34 year old.  Parents, sit down with your kids this week and talk about eternity.  It will be a tough topic and one you may not have grasped either.  Talk about it anyway.  Share your hope or desire for them in their walk with God.  Share your hope for yourself and your own walk.  Talk about how your life now is preparing for the coming of Jesus Christ.  Keep the words simple, and work on your answer that you will give to your friends and loved ones when they ask you about the hope you have.  Be prepared.  In that light I'm closing this blog off for today, there is firewood that needs to be cut.  Bring on the cold!!

No comments:

Post a Comment